Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Scientific Revolution: The Scientific Method

The Scientific Method is a reliable way to question or challenge an idea or even come up with something then test it. People couldn't challenge an idea if they didn't know what it was, considering the fact that ideas were argued rather than tested back then which is not only outrageous by the fact that people believed it, but also people who came up with the theory didn’t even bother checking to see if they were right. One reason why is because they wouldn’t know what to do or how to go about finding out answers. Basically everyone just went with the first thing they heard. 
This method is very organized and goes step by step. Each step is very crucial. You start off with observations. Basically all you do is observing something and if you find something that looks interesting then you can start to form questions about it. The next step is the hypothesis 

A hypothesis is your opinion/prediction/educated guess on what you think is going to happen. Once you have come up with a hypothesis you perform experiments. 

By doing these tests you get closer to answering your questions and proving that your hypothesis is right. These tests have very detailed steps known as the procedure. They would also contain multiple trials because you can't base your decision on just one try. 

If anything turns out to be false then you have to go back to the hypothesis stage and start over from there. When the tests are finally done and you have results proving your theory right, then you can come up with a conclusion stating it and call your idea a theory from then on. 

It may seem like a really long process but in the end it’s all worthwhile knowing that you can tell people something they know is right. Also if some criticize you, instead of just arguing you can show them the facts and results to make believers out of them as well.

An example of an experiment that utilizes the scientific method is to see if lack of sleep affects a person’s mood. First off you would form your hypothesis which in this case would be mine and I would say that "I think a person would have be more ill-tempered and vinegary (cranky) if they have lack of sleep." Then I would have to move onto my tests by getting people willing to be a part of the experiment.

Then I would have to divide the people in half and have a control group and experimental group. The people not getting any sleep would be the experimental while the people who are would be the control. In each trial I would have to record the difference between the experimental and control groups behaviors and actions. In the end when I have completed all my trials I would gather all my results and come up with a conclusion stating everything that has happened.

There I will have proof stating my hypothesis right or wrong. I can't say which right now because I have not done this experiment, but form prior knowledge of the human mind I can say that my hypothesis is correct.  


No comments:

Post a Comment