Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Nationalism and the Creation of Italy


Nationalism is basically ones loyalty towards their country/nation also known as patriotism. One way people express nationalism is by having a flag of whichever country they are from in their homes and shows that they are loyal and proud to be from there. Unlike being a loyalist, who has to do with being a loyal to a king you are loyal to a specific place and its people/culture. Another way is by also adapting to a new country or place and trying to fit in with what goes on in that region. For example a lot of people come to America. Once they get here, majority of the people are not going to live the same life as they did before. Some even fit in well enough with real Americans that their habits and of showcasing that they are proud to live in America become identical. 

I don't display many cases of nationalism even though I live in America. It’s not like that I am not proud to live but why do I have to choose one over another if there are many more other countries in the world. I do follow some of American traditions by watching the fire works on the fourth of July which is one of the most important dates in American history. I also have multiple flags on the United States and have them placed in various places in my house. I also carry money as in dollars (since that is our currency); know the Pledge of Allegiance and majority of the words to the Star Spangled Banner. Most importantly I write, read, and speak English as my major language almost everywhere. Though I was not organically born here I still don't know my own native language best which a requirement is not really for me. 

If it wasn't for nationalism Italy wouldn't be what it is now. Before, after 1815, majority of Italy was ruled by Austria. But as time went on, from 1815-1848, Italy grew tired of being ruled over by another country. Two leaders were able to help them get what they wanted and that is to be a separate country and be one of their own. Even though in the end Italy got what it wanted they had many problems after the multiple battles and efforts it had underwent, they came out of it with economic and political problems. A lot of the problems were amongst themselves such as the North vs. the South.  


No comments:

Post a Comment